Presentation of the Project
The LIGHT Project was awarded a grant by the European Commission in order to address the vulnerability of legal professions to money laundering activities. The aim of the project is to train the participants, selected lawyers and notaries, in the field of anti-money laundering (AML) and counter financing terrorism (CFT). LIGHT is expected to have a positive impact on AML/CFT effectiveness by reducing the information asymmetry between legal professions and law enforcement authorities; and by nourishing a functional preventive approach against money laundering thanks to the preparation of notaries and lawyers. The training will concentrate on four main modules concerning:
- the acquisition of experimental insight and knowledge in EU law on AML/CFT;
- the improvement of the capacity of lawyers and notaries in ML/FT risk assessment;
- the performance of AML/CFT reporting obligations;
- the analysis of business relationships without intermediates as required by the Commission.
The activities include:
- a preparatory assessment on the national implementation of EU law in AML/CFT;
- high-level seminars and learning activities;
- complementary activities aimed at promoting the daily application of AML/CFT law provisions (including collection of best practices, a study trip to Europol and a European conference);
- communication and dissemination activities.
The project started in December 2020 and it will end in November 2022. Confprofessioni, the Italian Confederation of Liberal Professions, is the project coordinator and is leading the consortium involving associations from Italy, Belgium, Bulgaria and Spain.